Sunday, October 7, 2007

Aloha from the Big Island - at last!


It is great to be here in Kona. The biggest difference I have noticed so far with Ironman trianing vs. short course is that you seem to spend an awfully long time preparing for just one race. I am done training already - lets get to race day!
Kona is awesome in IM week; the last time I was here in June it was pretty quiet, but now the town is buizzing with excitement and energy (and way too many people wearing not enough clothing running down Ali'i drive). We're staying in a house a little way out of town so it is nice to be able to get out of the fray and chill out, while close enough to make the requisite trips to Lava Java for delicious coffee and breakfasts when needed.
I arrived in Kona on Wednesday afternoon and instead of being greeted with the usual friendly Hawaiian welcome, I was treated to a 40 minute tirade by my cab driver on how much she hated the Ironman and how all the athletes were irresponsible and obnoxious and didn't really bring any money to the island anyways so lets ditch the whole event. I sat in the back in stunned silence; I mean, I can understand that it is inconvienient to have the roads closed for an entire day and that there is some terrible riding the week before the race, but I was surprised to hear a local bash the event entirely - especially someone who makes a living off of driving tourists around. I assumed that the locals appreciate what the Ironman brings to the island, but maybe not. Hopefully we can all be nice and prove to the locals that athletes are not all jerks.
Off to go and swim the course - we dont have big blue ocean in Colorado so this will be a treat!
later.
Sam

2 comments:

j r register said...

sam,
glad to have you in kona representing zoot. all of us in florida wish you a quick trip to the finish line.
j. r. register

WiLBOY said...

SM -
The negative cab driver represents a very small minority of Kona residents that are very closed-minded (not just about IM, but about everything). Rest assured, many more locals in Kona appreciate and welcome the IM - and are active participants (as I'm sure you will see as you pass by thousands of volunteers on race day). Good luck in your first Kona. After seeing you run by me in the last few miles at Honu this year, I think you have what it takes to survive Kona and win. Words of wisdom - "keep your head cool" (figuratively and literally) throughout the entire race. Aloha, WY.