Friday, October 12, 2007

One Day To Go!

Its 6:15 and the house is dark and quiet, like the calm before the storm. This time tomorrow will be a different story, but for now I am enjoying the peace of a last Kona sunrise before I submerge myself into this world of hurt known as Ironman. Bring it on.
Yesterday I did absolutely nothing of note except eat. You’d think a day of eating everything in sight after months of strict training and healthy food would be fun but it doesn’t actually feel all that great. The proverbial fattened calf going off to slaughter actually comes to mind. I did have one other task Thursday and that was to prepare my race bags, which took most of the evening. Whew - I don’t think I am organized enough to be an Ironman; there’s, like, 5 different colored bags to put run gear/bike gear/special needs/pre-swim gear etc. I have shoes and gels and pills and numbers to divvy up between each bag and this is serious business. In IM I get the impression that if you mess up one thing that can eventually be the end of your day. I am exhausted already!
We went to the Powerbar Kona breakfast in the morning - Powerbar is great, they are kind of like a grandma. You know, if one cookie is good than a dozen must be even better. I ask for a couple of gels and I receive a box to last me for 3 years - love it.
The press conference was uneventful, sigh. I was hoping for a fist fight or a chair thrown around, but nothing was stirring those boys up this time. Triathletes are way too polite. I think next year the girls are going to have to talk some smack and give the reporters something to write about

2 comments:

James said...

Hey Sam! Please kick arse! Love you! Best wishes and cool weather.

James

Coach said...

Good job Sam! You got me stuck on the computer all day. What a way to become an ironman!

Congrats for your race, enjoy some rest now, it is well deserved.

(You almost got me into labour ;o)

Josée xx