Monday, October 8, 2007

Another Day In Kona!

Woke up to our friendly neighbourhood alarm clock this morning; there is a rooster that lives under our balcony at the rental house. Its in a neighbourhood, but apparently farm animals are fair game in Kona residential areas. I don't really mind getting up early since it prepares me for race day and makes sure I head to bed on time each night. Its just that he keeps going for 2 hours. Okay, I get it, I am up already!One thing about being in Kona early is that you get plenty of time to check out your competition. It is impossible not to run into all your fellow racers and see how hard everyone is training up and down Alii drive. I think the first 12 hours that I was here I ran into a certain tall blond racer 3 times. I was not 2 hours off the plane and I had walked down the road to find a grocery store. The only thing available was the "Pu Pu Pantry", a little corner store in a hotel, meagre pickings at best. So I am walking home in the rain, beraggled and jet-lagged, eating a Popsicle and feeling sorry for myself and who do I see running up towards me but MJ? I waved feebley and vowed that next time I saw her I would be training hard and looking fierce. I had my opportunity the next morning when our paths crossed again. Unfortunately this time I had just finished swimming and was in the midst of cramming a mac-nut muffin into my mouth when she trots up the path in front of Lava Java - still running while I enjoyed a latte in the morning sunshine.So now I am off to hang out at the Pier all day and fire off some quick 400's down Alii drive in case anyone else wanders by...
Sam

3 comments:

Jordan Rapp said...

onya red head, have fun out there..... I mean kick ass and take names.

Simon W.

Unknown said...

Sam,

Funny stuff. Whatever to what everyone else does.

Just giterdun. Going really fast is fun.

Mel

James said...

Hi Sam, Hope your up to speed and best wishes for the weekend! Just wish I could be there!

hugs and kisses
James
P.S Will you marry me?